Saturday, June 13, 2009

Santa Fe

Earlier this month I visited Santa Fe, New Mexico with Travis' grandmother "Bib," his aunts Debbie, Cheryl, and Janet, Bib's friend (and my new-found buddie) Gerrie, Debbie's friend Ginger, Ginger's sister Dana, and Dana's daughter Tara. I had such a fabulous time with all these ladies, but of course that was to be expected when you give a group of girls fabulous food, plenty of wine, and lots of shopping! But it amazed me how female comradery can extend beyond generations (we ranged in age from 28-80). I learned on this trip that there truly is a common thread of sisterhood that runs through all women. I've always felt that with my relationship with my grandmother, but to see how such goes beyond even blood relations is truly inspiring.
From Left to Right: Bib, Debbie, Cheryl, Moi, Dana, and Tara.

Debbie (travel planner extrordinaire) and Cheryl
Ginger, Janet, and Cheryl

Sweet Gerrie and my fabulous Grandmother-in-law Bib (watch out these girls are trouble)!!!

I love to travel (even in the backseat of a rental van). Looking forward to our trip next year - hint hint Deb ;)
As for Santa Fe itself...below are some of my favorit images from the trip:

The landscape in New Mexico is breathtaking. I felt like I was in another world while I was there. And there is a peacefulness to the air that you can't explain. This photo was taken at Ghost Ranch, where Georgia O'Keeffe lived some of her adult life.
I also had the chance to visit the Georgia O'Keeffe museum, located in downtown Santa Fe, which has a wonderful collection of her lifes works. Above is one of her paintings of the New Mexico landscape.
My favorite street in Santa Fe was Canyon Road. Canyon Road is Santa Fe's art gallery district, which is home to literally 100s of galleries. Santa Fe is reported to have the second largest art market in the US. Janet and I spent an entire afternoon touring galleries, and I could have easily spent another full day (or two) on this road alone.
Outside another gallery on Canyon.

San Francisco de Asis Church in Taos.
The patio at Luminaria, where we enjoyed lunch. Located in the Loretto hotel which is next door to the Loretto Chapel, famous for the chapel's staircase that some say was built by a divine miracle.
The courtyard at my favorite restaurant in Santa Fe La Casa Sena/ La Cantina. Fabulous food and wonderful ambiance (inside and out).

No comments:

Background (damascus)